0 votes

Drum, separator, and scrubber

asked Apr 1, 2015 in Process by ChemKB (8,210 points)
What is the difference between drum, separator, and scrubber?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Feb 2, 2016 by TPham (5,010 points)

Drum: or knock out drum (KOD) is used when a small amounts of liquid droplets to be removed gas/vapor upstream.

Separator: separator is used when there is a quite a bit of liquid to be removed from gas/vapor upstream prior to delivering to the compressor suction.

Scrubber: srubber is used to separate sour gas in counter-current contact with the solvent/amine with internal containing trays and/or packings.

These are my understanding but all three terms are used interchangeably and can mean the same thing. It is to separate the Vapor-Liquid so they should be called as SEPARATOR as a common term, period!

Related questions

1 answer
1 answer
asked Sep 18, 2015 in Offshore-Upstream by DeanBidot (360 points)
1 answer
asked May 1, 2016 in Mechanical by pasmith (3,320 points)
1 answer
asked Jun 20, 2014 in Process by RichS29 (4,320 points)