These are the typical requirements for sizing a control valve:
- Type of fluid
- Specific gravity and viscosity of fluid
- Temperature and Pressure of fluid (required at both inlet and outlet)
- Pressure drops
- Type of valve needed (butterfly, angle, etc.)
- Flow open or close
- Instrument required?
- Inlet and Outlet connections and its piping' schedule
- Port Size
- Type of trim
- Materials (body and trims) suitable for the intended process
Please keep in mind that sizing a valve that matches its required process and flow. If you select a valve that is too small or large for the application, it will have an adverse effect to the process optimization.