Before doing any hot works, you should do the followings:
- Obtain a hot work permit.
- Develop a detailed plan to clarify all concerns applicable to the hot tap.
- Prepare engineering drawings that detail the hot tap operation. Hold a coordination meeting with your team (i.e. Maintenance, Operations, Hot Tap Contractor, and Inspection Personnel)
- Verify the correct piping/equipment to be hot tapped, as well as the correct location.
- Verify that the condition, material, and the measured thicknesses of the piping/storage tank to be hot tapped are adequate for welding.
- Verify that the proposed welding procedure is suitable for the intended hot tap application.
- Conduct all necessary hydrocarbon and oxygen tests to ensure that no flammable vapor is present.
- Complete the Hot Tap Checklist provided by the Operating Company.