Printed Circuit Heat Exchangers are diffusion-bonded type heat exchangers. These are highly compact, highly robust exchangers compare to the other popular heat exchangers such as shell and tube. They are now well established in the upstream, high pressure hydrocarbon processing, petrochemical and refining industries.
Major oil companies such as Cheveron, BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, etc., and operators such as SBM, MODEC, etc., are using PCHEs to projects all over the world.
Some of the advantages of PCHEs are as follows:
- Four to six times smaller than conventional shell and tube heat exchangers for the same duty.
- Extreem pressure capablity in excess of 600 bar (9000 psi)
- Extreme temperature capablity ranging from cryogenic to 900°C.
- High thermal effectiveness of over 98% in a single unit.
- Has space and weight advantages, as several process streams can be into a single unit.
- Suitable for a range of corrosive and high purity streams.